For those pressed with time and less inclined to undertake the rigours of hard mountain trekking, trekking up to the meadows of Dzongri will offer the benefits of having experienced a truly spectacular Himalayan trek in a span of one week (or maybe even less). At an altitude of 4,200 m Dzongri is among the best trekking destinations not only in Sikkim but also in India. The sights of the milky white peaks all around Dzongri are bound to keep you gazing with awe.The view from this place has too much to be recommended a patchwork of green and gold streaked with blue – reminiscent of an abstract etching, framed by the majestic snowcapped peaks shining not very far away.
The awesome presence of the great mountains thrusting their snowy peaks deciphers the strength of the Tethys Sea bulging its muscles to reach this towering height. No less than 14 of them soar majestically to 20,000 ft. plus. The centre of attraction of course remain the Kanchenjunga. Snowfall is common around Dzongri especially during the winter months. The trekker should be well prepared to face the cold. The temperature may go below freezing point any time around the year.
The trek to Dzongri is among the tougher ones in Sikkim. Even the experienced porters and guides get tired after reaching Dzongri. naturebeyond strongly recommend trekkers should go for regular fitness exercise for at least a month before coming for this trek. The trek to Dzongri starts from Yuksom in West Sikkim. Yuksom is about 5 hours drive from the nearest railstation at New Jalpaiguri and nearest airport at Bagdogra.
Route: Yuksom to Dzongri & Gochela Trek
Duration: 11 Nights and 12 Days
Highest Altitude: 4,940m
Recommended Season: June – September & October – Mid November
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu airport, meet our staff then transfer to Hotel.
Day 02: Kathmandu free and official briefing for the trip.
Day 03: Kathmandu–Bhadrapur by flight then drive to India border, after visa formalities continue drive to Gantok (Sikkim). Overnight at Hotel.
Day 04: Day sightseeing: visit Do Drul Chorten, Institute of Tibet-logy, Rumtek Monastery & Handicraft Center.
Day 05: Gangtok to Yuksom (1,780m.) by drive through the beautiful villages and hills- meet our trekking crew and overnight in Camp/Lodge
Day 06: Yuksom – Tsokha: Trek begins here. This trek takes you through dense verdant Semi tropical forest occasionally crossed by Crystal clear rivulets and cascading water falls up to Praig Chu. After lunch a steep climb for an hour brings you to Tsokha – a small Tibetan hamlet from where the first glimpse of the mountains can be seen. Tented Camp. Approx. Alt. 3050m & Distance 16kms/6 hrs.
Day 07: Dzongri -Halt. Dzongri La alt.4,500m. (Acclimatization) Halt.
Day 08: Trek back to Tsokha. O/N at Tented Camp.
Day 09: Trek back from Tsokha to Yuksam. Transfer to Hotel.
Day 10: Drive Yuksam to Darjeeling via Pelling. On the way visit Pemayangtse monastery then transfer to Hotel.
Day 11: Early morning visit Tiger Hill for sunrise. On the way back visit Yiga Choling Monastery. After breakfast visit the Mountaineering Institute, Padmaja Zoological Park, Tibetan Self Help Centre and a Tea garden. O/N at Hotel.
Day 12: Drive to Bhadrapur then drive back to Kathmandu then transfer to Hotel.
Day 13: Kathmandu free.
Day 14: Last minute, transfer to airport for onward journey.
Camping Trek Cost Includes:
- All land transportation by private vehicle tourist Bus (Airport /Hotel/Airport & trekking pick up & drop).
- Full day 4/5 hours sightseeing with professional English speaking tour guide & temple entry fees. (As Per the itineraries in Gantok & Darjeeling)
- 4 Night’s hotel accommodation in Kathmandu, 2 night in Gantok (Sikkim) and 2 nights in Darjeeling at Bed & Breakfast basis.
- All three major meals B/L/D (provide continental food)and accommodation in tented camp (twin sharing North Face tent or, normal trekking tent, dining tent, toilet tent, Kitchen tent, staff tent, Table, chairs and Kitchen utensil etc.).
- 1 Professional equipped English speaking trekking guide, 1 special trekking Cook, Kitchen boys, necessary Sherpa and Porters.
- Life insurance for all support crews and their daily wages.
- Per member 25 Kg. luggage allow while in the trekking. (If more than 25 Kg. then cost will be charged extra 10 Euro or 12 US $ per day for a porter).
- Trekking Permit & National Park permits Fees.
- Air Ticket: KTM/Bhadrapur /Kathmandu & Airport taxes.
- Medical Kit Box for Nepali support crews.
- All official taxes and service charge.
The Cost Doesn’t Include:
- Personal transportation except above programs.
- Major meals lunch and dinner during your stay in Kathmandu and Darjeeling.
- Personal trekking gears as well as sleeping bags.
- Personal Nature expenses.
- Emergency evacuation (If incase).
- Drinks except tea and coffee.
- Airfare: to & from your country.
- Nepal entry, re entry visa fees and India visa fees & airport departure taxes.
- Personal travel insurance.
- Tips for trekking crew.