The mountain stands on the Nepal and Tibet border and divides the headwalls of the Rolwaling Himal on the south and the Rongxar on the north. Its has two summits, East (7181m) and West (7023m), with 2kms long ridge between them. Its native name is Jobo Garu, or Quageru, but in 1951, when the first westerners, Eric Shipton and Mike Ward, visited the Menlung valley, it got one more – “Menlungtse”.
Five jagged ridges stretch out from the summit: North-East, South-East, South, South-West and North-West. On the south the massif is bordered by the Kongbu Rebusan glacier. The approaches to the mountain are: from Nepal over the Manlung La pass (5510m), yet an easier way is from Tibet by vehicle along the Rongxar valley (in spring the abundant snows force travelers to make a detour on foot over the Fula Shan pass (5411m). The traditional base camp called “Bapu” is at 4700m, opposite the other beautiful peak, Gauri Shankar (7134m).
Owing to the winds from the Indian Ocean, the area is warm and wet with a lot of precipitation. Nearly all the attempts at Menlungtse have been made in the springtime (April-May).
Menlungtse is 7181m High Mountain. There are 2 Summit along with this mountain which is one and half kilometer in distance. It is the headwaters of Rongxar River. It is located in between the Nepal-China border.
The approaches to the mountain are from Nepal through the Manlung La pass (5510m) and also there is the easier way from Tibet side’s Rongxar valley. The base camp can be settled beyond Rongxar and place is called Bapu located at 4700m. Opposite to this, is the Gauri Shankar (7135m). This Menlungtse is near by the periphery of Cho oyu and Gauri Shankar. The whole route is exactly to the same “Cho Oyu” expedition and the base camp also travels ahead from the same Tingri to this Menlungtse base camp. Tingri is the intersection point to go Cho Oyu Base camp and Menlungtse base camp.
Trip Itinerary :
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
Day 02: Kathmandu- Preparing Expedition
Day 03: Kathmandu – Preparation Expedition
Day 04: Drive to Kathmadu – Zangmu (2300m), O/N at hotel
Day 05: Drive Nyalam
Day 06 acclimatization
Day 07: Drive Tingri (4250m), O/N at hotel
Day 08: acclimatization
Day 09: Tingri – Base camp 5200m.
Day 10: Acclimatization
Day 11: Base Camp to Middle camp
Day 12: Middle camp – ABC
Day 13-29: Climbing period Menlung Tse (7181m.)
Day 30: Advance Base Camp – Base camp
Day 31: drive Base camp – Zhangmu
Day 32: Drive Zhangmu – Kathmandu
Day 33: Kathmandu
Day 34: Kathmandu
Day 35: Departure from Kathmandu.
Trip Cost includes:
1. 4 nights accommodation in Kathmandu with bed & breakfast at standard Hotel..
2. Expert professional Nepalese expedition crews like Cook, Kitchen boy, ABC guide and mountaineering gears till to the ABC are provided; and our crews get all expedition facilities from our office itself.
3. Tibet visa & Travel Permit for the expedition crew
4. Full board hotel in route to Tibet side Lhasa, Gyantse & Tingri & Zhangmu (bed & breakfast, Lunch, dinner)
5. Base Camp – Advance Base Camp 1 tent for 1 person (North Face brand)
6. Dining tent, Table, Chairs, toilet tent, Mess tent & Kitchen tent
7. Per person’s (40 KG) Load is carried by the Yak till to the from Base Camp to ABC
8. Per person’s (30 KG) Load is carried by the Yak on the way back to the ABC to the BC
9. Kathmandu – Lhasa fly & drive to (vice versa) are provided the Mini bus/Jeep for the members& Truck for the equipment
10. Peak permit for Everest North Col 8848m.
11. Tibet Visa & Travel permit
12. Liaison officer & Interpreter
13. Nepalese crew’ insurance
14. ABC – Oxygen for Emergency but you must pay for its use.
15. Satellite phone (Pay call).
16. Expedition T-shirts with Expedition label
17. Welcome dinner
Cost does not include:
1. Air travel to and from Kathmandu.
2. Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
3. Laundry, postage, telephone calls, and all other items of personal nature.
4. Entry visa and Re-entry visa for Nepal.
5. International departure tax.
6. Personal Expenses.
7. Medical and rescue insurance.
8. Personal Climbing equipment.
9. Bar bills & Beverage.
10. Medicine and first aid expenses
11. Garbage Deposit USD 250 (Sharing of the total person) Deposit fee will be not refund if clients (climber) don’t take back their garbage.
13. Extra yak, Per Yak’s USD 150.00 will be charge till to 40 KG load.
Extra serice if required:
Russian oxygen 4 litters: US$ 400.00
Mask & Regular: US$ 500.00
Satellite phone: US$ 700.00 per set (Personal use from climber)
Film Permit : US$ 30,000.00 (Small Portable movie camera is free)
Duty Jeep : US$ 4000.00
Rescue Jeep : USD 700 Per Jeep