Itinerary for Yuksam-Dzongri-Gochala–Kasturi Odal-Tashiding Trek and Tour
Trekking in Sikkim can be a wonderful experience. This can be an antidote to city stress of daily life. Its memories are cherished lifelong. While trekking one relishes the pure air and the silence of the wilderness and feels the awakening of senses dulled by urban living. As one walks through the vales and dales and past quaint villages, mountains take up strange and wonderful shapes and the beauty of the Himalayas unfolds itself before the visitor. While trekking one can enjoy the exquisite beauty of identifying peaks, mountains, rivers and places around that becomes a good pastime. And whether one can climb the next hilltop becomes more important than anything else in life.
From a distance these mountains may seem formidable and unapproachable but as one goes near to them they seem to welcome you into the forests vibrant with life. Although each and every nook and corner of Sikkim i.e. from the sultry tropical forests in the south to the howling wilderness in the north and from the razor-edged Singelila range in the west to the undulating Chola range in the east, all these are a trekkers paradise. All the following routes are worth a mention. These routes encompass all the treks that have also been recently opened to for the trekking activities.
Trip Itinerary :
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu airport, meet our staff and transfers to Hotel.
Day 02: Kathmandu free.
Day 03: Kathmandu to Bhadrapur (1.25hrs.) by flight then scenic drive to Gantok (6 hrs.) then transfer to Mantokling Guest House. (visa formalities at Nepal border and India) arrive Hotel in Gangtok, the capital of modern Sikkim.
Day 04: A leisure day in Gangtok visiting places of tourist interest including famous Enchey Monastery, Tibetology, Institute of Cottage Industry, Dro-Drul Chorten, Rope way and world famous Rumtek Monastery. Return Back to Gangtok. Evening walk at the Mall or shopping/leisure. Stay O/N. Mantokling Guest House.
Day 05: Drive Yuksam 1770m. We drive in easy stages through the beautiful forested countryside of Sikkim, arriving at our Swiss alpine style hotel at Yuksam, the site of the Kanchenjunga park headquarters and the road head. Here we meet our crew, and after dinner an early night. Hotel Yangrigang.
Day 06: Trek Tshoka 2900m Time to get the kinks out after all that sitting in planes and jeeps! Our trail leads through dense and normally misty forest and Rhododendron. The trail winds up for three hours before crossing the Prek Chu to begin what the locals call the real climb, another three to the small Lepcha settlement of Tshoka, passing the alpine huts at Bakhim en route. Evenings are almost always misty and damp here, but our crew are waiting with hot tea, and our tents will be up.
Day 07: Trek from Tshokha – Dzongri meadows, 4320 m. 09 kms in 04 hrs. A steep climb through rhododendrons, with some views of the snow peaks brings us to Dzongri at 4300 m. It is a lovely undulating plateau, used as a yak pasture, extending nearly to the Kabru and Pandim glaciers on either side. The first view as you step on to the meadows is indeed breathtaking, as you suddenly come face to face with the great peaks. Overnight in camp.
Day 08: Trek to Bhakbari (HMI BISE CAMP) Km/4hrs trek stay at camp.
Day 09: Early morning trek to (Doodh Pokhari) same day back to Dzongri O/N at Camp.
Day 10: Trek to Dzongri top and trek Thangshing 3800m. Up at four for the climb to Dzongri top, and worth the lost sleep! After half an hours steep climbing we attain the ridge, with the ghostly images of the peaks that separate India from Nepal visible in the starlight, and the multihued horizon south colored by the approaching sun. After an hour we reach the prayer flags that mark the top, and have hot tea and coffee as we watch Kanchenjunga and the summits around turn pink in the first rays of the sun. With full light the massed ranges are revealed, summit beyond summit. Then down to a huge breakfast…we still have trekking to do! Eating done, we climb briefly away from camp to contour around hillsides of heather and juniper against snowy peaks, before dropping to the rest house at Kochu and another crossing of the Prek Chu. In all, three hours walking from Dzongri to our camp in the wide pastures of Thangshing.
Day 11: Trek from Thansing, 3920m – Camp in Lamuni, 4230m. (Samithi lake 4500 M). 08 kms, in 04 hrs.Trek steadily uphill for 04 hrs to camp near Samthi Lake at 4500 m. Overnight in camp.
Day 12: Trek from Lamuni or Simithi lake, 4500m – Gochela, 4995m. – Thangsing 3800m. 14 Kms in 08 hrs. a day we have a long days trek. Starting just past midnight, we climb, along a gully on a trail of moraine and boulders, with spectacular views opening up. Following a short descent to the white sands of Zimethang we make the steep climb reaching the highest point of the trek, in time for the sunrise. From Gochela we see the Talung Glacier, Khangchendzonga East Face, Jannu, Simvo, Sinolchu, and many other peaks. Descending down we retrace our steps to spend the night at Thangsing in the Priag chhu valley then same day trek to Lam Pokhari lakes, Overnight in camp.
Day 13: Lam Pokhari lakes to Kasturi Odal (3,715m.) then overnight in camp.
Day 14: Katuri Odal to Labdang (1,830m.) then overnight in Camp.
Day 15: Labdang – Tashiding (4 hrs.) then pick up by a vehicle and drive to Darjeeling (3 hrs.) hotel stay O/N. Hotel Dekeling.
Day 16: Early morning 4 AM visit sunrise Tiger Hill on the way Ghoom Monastery back to Hotel after breakfast visit half day sight seeing then continue drive to Hotel. Hotel Dekeling.
Day 17: Transfers to Nepal Border then drive to Bhadrapur and afternoon fly back to Kathmandu then transfer to Hotel.
Day 18: Kathmandu free.
Day 19: Last minute, transfer to airport for onward journey.
Tours & Camping Trek Cost Includes:
- All land transportation by private vehicle (Airport /Hotel/Airport & trekking pick up & drop as well as in India part).
- 4 Night’s hotel accommodation in Kathmandu at Bed & Breakfast basis as well as 2 night in Sikkim, 1 night Pemayantse and 1 night in Darjeeling in Bed and breakfast basis.
- One day excursion tour around Sikkim with professional English speaking guide with entrance fees as per programs.
- All 3 major meals Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner (provide continental food) and accommodation in tented camp during the trek en-route. (twin sharing tent or, normal trekking tent, dining tent, toilet tent, Kitchen tent, staff tent, Table, chairs and Kitchen utensil etc.).
- 1 Professional equipped English speaking trekking guide, 1 special trekking Cook, Kitchen boys, necessary Porters.
- Life insurance for all support crews and their daily wages.
- Per member 30 Kg. luggage allow while in the trekking.
- Trekking Permits, National Park permits Fees of India.
- Transportation: Bhadrapur, Nepal Border, Sikkim, Yuksom (trekking start point), Tashiding (trekking ending point), Pemayangtse, Darjeeling, Nepal Border and to Bhadrapur airport by private vehicle.
- Medical Kit Box for Nepali support crews.
- Air Ticket: Kathmandu/Bhadrapur/Kathmandu with airport tax (As per above trek itinerary).
- All official taxes and service charge.
The Cost Doesn’t Include:
- Personal transportation except above programs.
- Major meals lunch and dinner during your stay in Kathmandu and 4 dinner while in Sikkim.
- Personal trekking gears as well as sleeping bags.
- Personal Nature expenses.
- Emergency evacuation (If incase).
- Drinks except tea and coffee.
- Airfare: to & from your country.
- Nepal entry, re-entry & India visa fees & international airport departure taxes.
- India visa fees.
- Personal travel insurance.